With price tags rising, it’s becoming more and more difficult to pin down a reasonable price tag for a decent wedding. One of the biggest saving tips you can follow is to get married during off-season. You are accomplishing this by having a St. Patrick’s Day wedding! Now, how do you cut costs even more?
- Go to the dollar store. All of discount stores will be flaunting green and all shamerock-related items in the months closest to the day! Make a list of what you would want at your wedding, and then head to the store. Find what’s on your list and buy it for a fraction of regular price at wedding stores.
2. Have beer and spirits instead of champagne. Beer is always cheap, and spirits are cheaper than champagne. If you want to be creative, make some cocktails and line them up on a “shot tower” for guests to take after the wedding toast. Besides, what’s an irish wedding without some alcohol?
3. Make a list of green foods you would like at your wedding. Celery, grapes, peppers; you name it! After you’ve decided what kind of food you want to offer (appetizers only, just dinner, cake only or a full on 3-course meal), choose savory green foods to go with your theme. You can also pick foods that can easily be dyed green.
4. Have a one-tier cake for cutting and have it on top of a cupcake tower! Bake a sheet cake in the shape of a shamrock, cover it in green frosting, whatever you’d like. Cut the cake with your spouse and then serve the cupcakes!
5. Head to discount stores for clothing. Search for green ties, green dresses, and green accesories. Mix and match into unique looks that fit the theme. Head to stores that are known for their bargain-friendly prices. Look for necklaces, brooches, ribbons, bracelets, even rings.
6. DIY decorations. Gather green construction paper, paper mache, streamers, and everything else you can think of. Call your team of bridesmaids and groomsmen over to help you. Make banners, shapes, flowers, signs, and whatever else you want decorating your special day. You can also snag some green balloons to hang in the middle of tables as a unique centerpiece!
7. Have simple yet elegant Paddy’s day centerpieces. Pictured above is a vase filled with water with a drop of green food coloring, and a floating white candle. The vase sits on a mirrored tray with small white candles around it, a white flower branch and some white and green ribbon. You can sprinkle plastic crystals around it, available at your local dollar store. How neat is this?
8. The venue will be a fraction of regular price during wedding season. If you live in a warmer climate (or you can brave the cold), have the wedding outside! You can’t go greener than the trees and grass. Ask for a permit to rent a local park, which can cost up to $200. You can also go to the backyard of the church that you got married in.
Plan your wedding accordingly and have a blast!