Budgets are easy to break when it comes to wedding reception food.
- Browse the food aisle at the dollar store. This is probably one of the best money-saving tips out there. There is plenty of food at the dollar store that you can use for your wedding. There is bread you can use for a sandwich bar, noodles to use for pasta salad, tuna for tuna salad, sauces to make spaghetti, crackers for cocktail-style appetizers, and much more!
- Stick to the cheap foods at the grocery store. These include potatoes, salads and pasta. For the potatoes you can have a potato bar by serving mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, whipped potatoes, fries, chips, etc.
- Consider a potluck. This would make the food absolutely free! If this makes you uncomfortable, you could always just ask to potluck one aspect of the meal, such as appetizers, soups or desserts. This is more common than you think!
Here are some helpful links to guide you:
For dollar-store shoppers, here is how to dress up the dollar-store food so your guests have no idea that your food came from the dollar store!
- Bread: Cut little sandwiches cocktail-style with a toothpick through the center. Use whatever you want to make the sandwiches; bacon, turkey, chicken, cold cuts, lettuce, cheese, tomato, etc.
- Ramen: Heat the noodles without the packet of flavor, since some people might recognize the taste and know where it came from (of course if you’re shameless and don’t mind, throw it in!). Throw in some ingredients that you want, depending on what you’re making. I would suggest this to be used for pasta salad, so you can throw in lots of different types of pasta and cook it up your way! You can have salsa, soy sauce, freshly-cut veggies, whatever you want. If you have no clue what to add in a pasta salad (which I openly admit is my case), google or look up on pinterest some recipes.
- Candy: A new trend surfacing is a candy bar. Select the candies you want to use for a candy bar at your wedding, and buy it in bulk!
- Crackers: There is a nice variety of crackers; original, plain, cheese, vegetable, salted, unsalted, whole grain, white, etc. Take the time to choose which types of crackers you want if you want to serve cheese and crackers or crackers with salsa at your wedding for finger foods, snacks or appetizers.
- Canned Food: You have a variety of canned vegetables, soups and meats at your disposal. What you can do is have a soup bar with the soups of your choice. Another option is to use canned veggies for a type of salad you want to make, like the aforementioned pasta salad. As for meats, you can use tuna for tuna salad or for a sandwich bar, as well as the meat spreads for the dollar store bread.
- Cookies: Another trending idea is a dessert bar! Check into the dessert section and there is sure to be cookies, sometimes even cakes!
All in all, look at the entire food section and choose what you can make something out of. It helps to already have a list of things you may need for the type of meal, buffet or food bar that you’d like to have at your wedding. Just keep an open mind and a creative heart and you’re sure to pull off a delicious masterpiece for your guests to eat up!